Statement of Faith
The mission, commitments, approach, and goals flow from the faith commitments of Veritas Academy. The program at Veritas is the direct consequence of its theological convictions.
Our statement of faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as defined by the 66 canonical books of the Old and New Testaments, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe. For the purposes of Veritas Academy’s faith, doctrine, practice, behavioral standards, policy, and discipline, our board of directors is the final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.
The Westminster Confession of Faith, with its Larger and Shorter Catechisms, is the doctrinal foundation upon which the Veritas Academy is built. We believe it is a faithful, comprehensive, and reliable exposition of Biblical teaching. The theology of the Confession is the bedrock of our Christian worldview and gives shape and substance to the entire curriculum. The following may serve as a convenient summary.
Statement of Faith Summary
1. We believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God, free from error, and our only infallible rule of faith and practice.
2. We believe that there is one God in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, who are of the same substance, equal in power and glory.
3. We believe that this Triune God created all things and governs all things, decreeing and determining “whatsoever comes to pass.”
4. We believe that man is created in the image of God, and yet is fallen in Adam. As a consequence, he is under the power of sin, spiritually dead, cursed of God, and unable and unwilling to save himself.
5. We believe in the dual nature of Christ. Jesus Christ, eternal Son of God, was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, and is truly God and truly man. He lived a sinless life, was crucified, died, and was buried. On the third day He rose again from the dead, ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God.
6. We believe that on the cross Jesus Christ bore the sins of his people, accomplishing the salvation of a multitude which no one can number, and that salvation may be found nowhere but in him.
7. We believe that justification is a gift of God’s free and unmerited grace received by faith alone apart from good works.
8. We believe that the theme of “covenant” provides the framework for understanding the Scriptures; that there is one basic covenant of grace; that Old Testament and New Testament believers are saved by faith in the mediator of the Covenant, the Lord Jesus Christ; that the moral law, summarized in the Ten Commandments, is the law of the Covenant, and normative for believers in both eras.
9. We believe that the three primary means by which God’s grace in Christ comes to us are the Word (especially the preached word), the sacraments, and prayer. Furthermore, these means have been entrusted to the visible church, the house and family of God, outside of which (the church) there is no ordinary possibility of salvation.
10. We believe that God’s covenant is family-based, embraces believers and their children in God’s redemptive purposes, and provides the key for understanding the status and duties of parents and children in the home, the church and school.
11. We believe that Jesus Christ now rules over all creation from the right hand of God, and will one day return in glory to judge the living and the dead, and consummate His eternal kingdom.
Statement on Sanctity of Life, Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality
1. We believe that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically and mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death. We are therefore called to defend, protect, and value all human life.
2. We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complimentary genders and sexes together reflect the image of God (Gen 1:26-17). Rejection on one’s biological sex is the rejection of the image of God within that person.
3. We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture (Gen 2:18-25). We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other (I Cor 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb 13:4). We believe that God commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of marriage between a man and a woman.
4. We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual; behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography) is contrary to the Bible’s teaching, is sinful, and offensive to God (Matt 5:18-20; I Cor 6:9-10).
5. We believe that in order to preserve the function and integrity of Veritas Academy as a Christian school under the authority of the Scriptures, and to provide a biblical role model to our students and school community, it is imperative that all persons employed by Veritas Academy in any capacity, or who serve as volunteers in any capacity, agree to and abide by this Statement on Sanctity of Life, Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality (Matt 5:16, Phil 2:14-16, I Thes 5:22).
6. We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity (Mark12:28-31; Luke 6:31). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are not allowed, are to be repudiated, and are not in accord with Scripture and the beliefs of Veritas Academy.